Friday, June 26, 2009

New Yorker Poem by Sue Chenette (new)

xxx
New Yorker Poem

I felt separate from them in every way but at the same time could not deny the things that bound us together.
xxx
At first, he continued to sleep in the park in order to save money.
xxx
She’s a very methodical person, so she always leaves it in exactly the same spot.
xxx
He could speak Slovenian to me and he could easily disregard any of my demands.
xxx
The fundamentalists succeeded for a time.
xxx
The situation is worse than that, though.
xxx
The video shows the officers walking him to the local station and slamming the door shut on his cell.
xxx
We crept to the spot where we’d seen him.
xxx
No time for more wandering; the game was drawing down.
xxx
Somewhere I must have lost a glove.
xxx

3 comments:

Sue Chenette said...

This poem is a compilation of lines gleaned from old New Yorkers in the course of a poetry game where people sit around a table piled with magazines, an egg timer is set for ten minutes, and you quickly choose one line of poetry or prose (or a cartoon caption) from each issue that you pull from the pile.
Sue

Jennifer K Dick said...

Interesting. And then you end up with another totally NYorker poem. Peculiar. Did you revise? Modify? Add afterwards?

Sue Chenette said...

I didn't change any of the lines, but I did play with the order. And in the second-last line I couldn't read my writing, wasn't sure if it was "wandering" or "wondering," chose wandering. Certainly you could do as much revising, modifying, adding as you felt like doing. Who knows, maybe I'll do more later.